Monday, August 22, 2011

]twenty-six paces[ : What the Room Saw

One of the ideas I new that I wanted to do from the start was grabbing some pinhole camera images of the two spaces.  Capturing a simultaneous moment in both of the spaces, seeing what each saw of the other in that instant.  
One of my homemade pinhole cameras mounted to the ceiling of Beacon Pilates.
This is the first time I've done any pinhole photography and Angelika has been way more than an assistant; more of a technical advisor, by far.  This part of the project is allowing us a chance to try out the darkroom at Fovea, which is available for an hourly rental (as well as membership access). 
I should say that this part of the project is allowing Angelika a chance to try out the darkroom at Fovea (in which she'll teach me how to print the images).  She exposed a test print, then developed it using Fovea's equipment and she was very impressed.  I'm pleased that by this has precipitated her use of the darkroom, which is so conveniently near us, and that she will indeed be printing some of her images there in the near future.


My lovely assistant, Angelika awaiting the moment of exposure in Artisan Wine Shop.

If you squint, you can see Angelika in the window..on the phone to me, standing on a ladder in Beacon Pilates.

I dig the camera strap/harness hanging from the ceiling, so I left it there.
Another thought that arrived early in the process of conceiving what I wanted to do for this project was to work with the staircase at Beacon Pilates.  The first of my attempts at addressing the space is "walk" my way up the stairs with a series of "sculptures" - arrangements, really, on each stair, in a sequence. 

I'm thinking that I'll make a series of these ascensions, using a variety of items to make the arrangements - in this case - the tools I had on hand in my bag. 


 I was able to slide the camera up up the handrail to which it was suspended as I made each arrangement, took a shot with the self timer as the it swayed naturally, then broke down the arrangement to make a new one on the next tread. 
Of all the images I captured of this process, these are the most interesting to me. 






No comments: