Sunday, November 05, 2006

Clean sweep

I received a phone call last week from Todd Spire informing me of the closing of the restaurant, OII. It seems that although the joint was packed on weekends, it was quiet for the rest of the week, and apparantly, the rent wasn't paid. A group of my paintings had been hanging in the restaurant for a good part of this past year. My days have been full installing work for the new inaugural exhibit at the Hessel Museum at Bard College that is opening on Nov. 12, but fortunately, I had a free afternoon and access to a box truck, and I was able to sweep the paintings out of there in short order before anything happened to them.
OII was a great addition to Beacon, unfortunately there just isn't the saturation of clientele to counter the inflated rents being charged.

No comments: