Sunday, February 19, 2006

Jan, Feb

On my trip to MOMA in January, we also went to the Met to see the Fra Angelico show, and Rauschenburg's Combines.

Raushenburg's ealry pieces from '55 to '57 really had the most impact. There was so much to enjoy and discover in this show. Of the 6-8 rooms of the exhibit, I found the first half to be the more adventurous and ingenious. I feel the paintings from the sixties lost their edge, and tended to be boring without the inclusion of other combined materials. Some of the better of these pieces felt like rehashing of Schwitter's work, but the large scale of the work at that point felt unnecessary beyond the chest beating they provided.



I enjoyed the Fra Angelico show, but he doesn't do it for me like Fra Filippo Lippi does. It is a little apples and oranges, but there you have it.

In Early February, I caught the Richard Tuttle show before it closed. I had not been familiar with his work. As I was reading various blog conversations at the beginning of the year stating that Tuttle was one of the two most influential artist on the present generation, I had to gauge whether I should be embarrased or not that I had not remembered seeing his work. I didn't reach a conclusion as to my level of embarrasment.
I am grateful that I did see the show. Not knowing what to expect entirely, I was surprised to see truly exquisite pieces that in there "lowliness" of materiality were quite elegant. My favorite pieces were a series of styrofoam fragments, each with a piece of red paper coming out of them.

This work feels like a virile heir to Rauschenberg's combines.

There were a series of works consisting of cardboard, and plastic that to me seem a very lyrical response to.... combines. And once again these pieces transended their lowly materials and to provide a transcendant art viewing experience.

No comments: