Thursday, November 08, 2007

Day of Rest


One of the ceiling sections at the Boulder Dushanbe Teahouse
.

In the Spirit of the Text opened Saturday night (images coming shortly,) but on Sunday, for my special-after-opening-treat, I headed up to the Boulder TeaHouse for a little Sunday Brunch and quiet time. It's been years since I had last been there, but for a while, some time back, heading up there was my Sunday morning ritual.
The setting, and the significance of the time I've spent there means a lot to me, and to go back, downing a couple of pots of tea, writing and reflecting at the bar was wonderful. Plus, BMOCA is just next door, making for a perfect package excursion.


Mary Miss' "Connect the Dots: Mapping the High Water, Hazards and History of Boulder Creek."




I headed over to BMOCA to see "Weather Report" the exhibit on Climate Change curated by Lucy Lippard. It's a great show, and a sprawling one at that. There are several offsite pieces, the documentation of which is assembled in the lobby. The one site specific piece that I did see, as part of it was placed at the entrance of the Museum is Mary Miss' "Connect the Dots..".The piece consists of metal paint can lids painted blue mounted on trees and buildings around town at heights representing the predicted height of flood water in those areas. This piece initially grabbed me because of the use of the paint can lid. As I've been incorporating various castoff elements from my housepainting gigs as possible fodder for my artwork, I've often thought about those metals lids, not sure what I'd do with them.




The exhibit assembles a number of artists that are approaching the topic of climate change in diverse, informative and beautiful ways. Given the amount of work in the exhibit, one might expect that inevitably, some of the art work might exist simply as visual prop for representing scientific information, but I didn't find this to be the case. BMOCA is far from big, but I strangely began to drift mentally, distracted a bit as I passed into the rear gallery. Perhaps it was the load of information coming at me from the artwork, I'm not sure. Still, I think that the exhibit deals with the subject matter in a sophisticated and striking way.

Judit Hersko's "Seven Days of Dissolution"

No comments: